Yes, eat a variety of different types of food and try to regulate your intake to keep your weight within the healthy range for your height. Most of our food should come from the groups that include vegetables, fruit, cereals, legumes and bread; we should eat least of the sugar, salt, butter and oil. Make the most of poultry and fish, choose lean cuts of meat and limit fried foods, snacks containing hidden fat, pastries and biscuits. Take advantage of lower-fat alternatives, use salt sparingly and drink alcohol only in moderation.
The Balance of Good Health
- Eat a wide variety of nutritious foods.
- Eat plenty of breads and cereal (preferably wholegrain, vegetables (including legumes) and fruits.
- Eat a diet that is low in fat, and in particular, low in saturated fat.
- Maintain a healthy body weight by balancing physical activity and food intake.
- If you drink alcohol, limit your intake.
- Eat only a moderate amount of sugars and foods containing added sugars.
- Choose low-salt foods and use salt sparingly.
- Encourage and support breast-feeding.
- Eat foods that contain calcium; this is particularly important for girls and women.
- Eat foods containing iron; this is particularly important for girls and women, and for vegetarians and athletes.
** Healthy Recipes